Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cotton Candy
I went to a baseball game Saturday night. That was fun. Not so much because we won, because we didn't, but because it's fun to go enjoy my what seems to be an allotted one game per season.

As one of America's pastimes, at least before XBox, Playstation and Wii, there are guaranteed to be some classic attributes to the game. The prices of $2 hotdogs, $3 sodas, $3.50 cotton candy, and $5 for a box of cracker jacks, so you can sit and kinda sorta watch the game are a few that come to mind. Actually I didn't see any cracker jacks, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be at baseball games. Although I'm probably wrong on most of those numbers, maybe, the $3.50 for a bag of cotton candy was right. I think.

I didn't actually pay $3.50 for a bag of cotton candy, and for that I am appreciative for thank you, but I did have some. For not having eaten it in so long it was totally worth the $3.50. I'm not kidding. In all it's sticky, sugary, very blue goodness it made me think. What if I could eat this any time I wanted, and for FREE?!? And that was my goal at work today. Have good handle time while finding a way to make my never-ending supply of cotton candy.

After much, or not much, searching I came up with a very simple recipe. These directions were written for a younger audience, but can obviously be applied to anyone.

Here is what you will need:
Plastic swimming pool
50 pounds Dumino's sugar
20 gallons water
Dad's boat and motor
Dad's truck with trailer hitch
Gelatin (any flavor)

Directions:
Before you begin, make sure you get Dad's truck keys, preferably while he's sleeping. Grab some books to sit on when you are ready to drive the truck so you can see over the steering wheel. Back the truck (with the boat connected) up to your swimming pool.

Next, get out of the truck and start pouring the ingredients (sugar, water, and gelatin) into the pool. When you have finished doing that, start the boat motor (you got the boat key, right?). Make sure the boat propeller is in the pool. Mix all the ingredients very quickly while avoiding the side of the pool (you don't want holes in pool in case you decide you want to make more cotton candy later on). If you are in a big hurry, push the throttle wide open.

When you are finished, you should have a whole pool full of cotton candy. As a nice gesture, go wake Dad up and offer him some of your delicious homemade cotton candy. Dig in, remembering that Dumino's sugar is good for you. If you're lucky, you won't be grounded for life for using Dad's truck and boat or for using your $10.95 swimming pool.

Directions curtesy of http://jansown.com/.

And there you go folks. Watch out world, Melanie is about to make her very own cotton candy!

In other news, what's with all the illusive comments I've gotten about the relation between air conditioning and gas consumption?

No comments: