Saturday, May 24, 2008


Some of you may wonder how I became such a big fan of Clay Aiken. Here is my story.

In 2005 I went to my first Clay Aiken concert. I didn't know who he was, just that he lost American Idol and had that Invisible song on the radio.

Back in 2005 I was still a big fan of *NSYNC. Not hard core like omg how am I going to get to Florida for Challenge for the Children, or let’s buy three sets of tickets to a concert trying to get as close to the stage as possible hard core, but still a pretty big fan. I was a fan club member so I could get all of the “breaking news” about the group, which in 2004 wasn't much. I did however chat on the message board from time to time. One of the girls, broomykisser, had bought tickets to the Clay Aiken concert at the Ohio State Fair. She had found closer seats and was trying to sell hers. Since I was in Columbus I guess it seemed logical that I take them. They were only 35 bucks, why not? From the way she talked about him it sounded like it would be a good concert. I bought the two that she had and made plans to go with my friend Susette.

Both of us went into the concert having no idea who Clay Aiken was. Of course we had heard of him, they played that silly song Invisible on the radio. The only episode of American Idol I had watched was half of the second to last episode while at work because we couldn’t find anything else on. He sang Bridge over Troubled Water which I found very boring and thought it was ridiculous that he had an entire choir singing with him. He was good and stayed on key, but his voice didn’t really do much for me. I voted for Ruben. My bad.

On to the concert.

After a song or two he started talking to the concert goers. He has an accent? Where is he from? Susette didn’t know, I’d have to google it later. From the first couple songs he seemed to be a pretty good singer though. Much better live then what I saw on American Idol and from hearing Invisible. And then he brought up a young girl to sing “Without You” with him, the duet he sang with Kimberly Locke. I loved it. The way he interacted with the girl was precious.

And then he sang “I Survived You”. Why didn't I know about this guy sooner?!?


And then the kicker was when he sang “You Were There”. Susette and I turned to each other and she said how it sounded like an Especially For Youth song, kind of churcy. She was right! I never would have expected that song at this concert. I was impressed. It brought tears to my eyes. Not that I would admit that or anything.

When the concert was over Susette and I made remarks to each other about how good it was, and how he was amazing live. Hearing him on the radio or a CD holds no justice to his live concerts. I would have to say I walked out a fan, wondering how I could have voted for Ruben.

I later bought his CD and found that his accent was from Raleigh, North Carolina.

Susette and I went to see his Jukebox Tour at the Ohio State Fair the following year. After that amazing concert was when the true fandom began. I learned more about him, I read his book, bought his Christmas CD, and eventually found a website, THE website, to download all of his TV appearances, performances, and concerts to assist me in becoming the fan I am today.

No comments: