Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's about time!

What do you suppose this blog is about? It's about time for me to post my blog on my meet and greet with Clay? True.... and it's almost done. It's about time to move to NYC? True... and we're getting closer. It's about time to... [insert something else that may be true but is not what this blog is about].

This blog is about my apparent lack of observation and other such appropriate term you would like to add after you read this.

Now, for the most part I've always considered myself to be pretty observant. For example, Clay Aiken fans are very good at taking video of concerts, while Jonas Brothers fans are very much not. Fine, that's not really a good example, if it even IS an example, but it's true and I just wanted to state that. Anyhoo. We'll just get to the point as I have a feeling this is going to turn into a long blog.

The title of the Jonas Brothers first studio album is "It's About Time". It was a very limited release and I've found it impossible to find for purchase so I really hope they re-release it someday. After listening to it I kind of wondered why the title is "It's About Time" because, as the majority of artists title their album from one of the songs on the record, there is no song on the CD by that title. So I thought, maybe it was the fact that it was about time they got a full studio album out for sale. Or that they finally got their band together. Something along those lines. Whatever it was I let it go and enjoyed the CD.

Text message from Susette....

April 15th 2011, 7:21 AM

"... their album it's about time? I just now put together that almost every song actually talks about time. So the album is literally about time."

Ok, I can't even take credit for figuring this out! Let me take you through the album and you'll see. Feel free to skip the below section as I'm sure most of you don't care.

So. "It's About Time". Here are some lines that could easily be picked up on. Or maybe no line in the song is even needed in some cases...

1. What I Go To School For - First line of the song, "Her voice echoed in my mind, I count the days 'til she is mine".

2. Time For Me To Fly - Hello obvious.

3. Year 3000 - Hello even more obvious - the song is about time travel.

4. One Day At A Time - Is anyone sensing a theme here?

5. 6 Minutes - again... the title of the song is 6 minutes. I'm feeling incredibly dense.

6. Mandy - Maybe not obvious in the title but again in the first line of the song - "Mandy USED to be that girl, the one that never said a word, but she only sang 'S Club 7', and all those boy bands. Now it's been a few years, it looks like things have changed."

7***. You Just Don't Know It - Ok, these guys are awesome. Seriously. This song is actually NOT about time. The one exception. And from the chorus it was done on purpose. How do you know it was done on purpose? The chorus ends with,

"I go on and on, singing this song about you.
AND THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS SONG."

8. I Am What I Am - Ok, I'm not even going to quote anything. The song is about being who you are, in the present and in the future. (No time travel though so maybe not so obvious?)

9. Underdog - the song is about a girl who is presently an underdog, but one day she may change the world... the last will be first... maybe she'll be in the movies, etc, etc.

10. 7:05 - Again, hello Captain Obvious.

11. Please Be Mine - A few examples from the song. But I'll be there forever.... All our hopes and our dreams will come true.... 'Til the end, the end of time.

/CD

See what I mean? Why did it take a month to come to this conclusion? It's ridiculously obvious. Maybe even more so if you're actually listening to the songs. Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, I love these guys. Of course artists and bands often stick to a certain theme in an album, but I have yet to come upon one where it is done so literally. Maybe it's because each song is so unique and different. Note to self, if the title of the album is NOT one of the songs on the CD listen more closely!

In other news, I can now play a few chords and Mary Had A Little Lamb on the guitar. By next week I hope to play the song "Introducing Me" from the movie "Camp Rock 2". Nick Jonas plays and sings it (although did not write it as it was done by the music person for the movie). Below is a video to demonstrate the skills I'll hopefully have by my next blog.

Did I mention Clay fans are way better at taking video?







No comments: