Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who ever said compact cars don't fit much?

Granted they have the commercials that say compact cars are incredibly roomy and wonderful and have all sorts of special camera angles to give the illusion that you really can fit seven people in a two door car. We all know it's not possible. However. I have come to learn that you can certainly fit a lot in them. Two particular instances come to mind. Interestingly, or not so interestingly, both of them have been within the last month and both have been for an hour and a half drive.

First:

A drive from Columbus to Cincinnati at the beginning of our 20 hour drive to Texas. I have a lot of stuff ok? Getting rid of furniture was no problem but how could I possibly give away my *nsync cd collection? Or that pair of shoes? Or that other pair of shoes? It's just not possible. So i n the car they went. Ok, not really everything... I had to make an emergency trip to Cincinnati the night before. But that's a story for another day.

The setup was really quite simple. I got in the car and my roommate piled the stuff on top of me. Amazingly enough it wasn't too uncomfortable. I was able to fall asleep and my roommate woke me up in time for us to miss our exit. Oops.



Second:

A drive from Austin to San Antonio. It's a toss-up as to which was more fun really. Again we were driving a two door car. This trip involved Ikea. I had only been to Ikea once before and it was just a quite run through. This trip however... Ikea is like the best place ever! Anyhoo. There was a particular chair that I was looking for and a tv stand my roommate was looking for. We located both and found the chair to be in a very big box. At least too big in the way of fitting into the trunk, backseat, or even front seat of our car. Thankfully though I had already had experience in packing a car with things that don't quite fit. Once out in the parking lot, the chair comes out of the box and we broke that down to save it in case I needed to make a return. The little legs were stuffed in the back seat no problem. But the chair. Hmm. Even out of the box it was rather large for a compact car. But it was going home with me dang it! For a second time I got in the car and my roommate stuffed the chair in the front seat. This time it was a little harder as the chair was wider then a box. My roommate, a new one this time, stuffed it in as far as possible as I sat there getting smothered by cusioning. When it was just about in we gave up and slammed the door as hard as possible. Bam. Chair in the car. Interestingly enough once I got in a position so my circulation wasn't being cut off I was able to sleep through most of this ride too.




They were both fun trips with a lot of laughs but I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to take another one in the near future.  :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your stuffing experience recalls the 60's phone booth and VW stuffing.

Anonymous said...

Good job. How does the chair look in your house or did you have to reconstruct the box to return it?
It was an interesting writing.

seek4

Dianne Barbee said...

Melanie,

LOL, I have some multi-hour trips from "Texas to somewhere" under my belt. Interesting read!

Thank you for your kind comment in the Carolina blog. It's always good to hear from visitors. Glad you like the countdown. *g*

Have a great week!

Caro