Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A trip to celebrate Family Day

Yesterday was the new Ontario holiday “Family Day”. Do you realize how many more holidays they have in Canada over the US? I’m thinking of moving to Canada for that reason not really. But yesterday was Family Day, and I thought I would celebrate it with my friend Lynn who by chance actually lives in Ontario. It was Family Home Evening (FHE) at my church and I was definitely going to go in celebration. It started at seven. I attempted to primp and prep and get beautiful, which didn’t work out so well, and headed out.

As I was leaving it started to snow. No big deal. It snows in Ohio, I’m used to it. However, as I pulled out of the parking lot a torrential downpour hurricane of a snowfall started. Holy mother of snow batman. But it was Family Day dang it and I was going to go celebrate! About a mile up the road I decided that I definitely lived in the US… Family Day whatever I’m turning around!

Now when I say a torrential downpour hurricane of a snowfall I’m not kidding. You couldn’t see two feet in front of you, headlights were useless, and I just happened to be on a road with no streetlights. That worked out well. As a special added bonus you could no longer see the street names because snow had magically fallen in such a way that it was stuck to the signs covering them up. Wheee! This was fun! I had driven this road many times though so when it was time for me to turn onto the street heading into my neighborhood I signaled in plenty of time and turned left onto the correct road. Or not. Turns out they moved my street and in its place there was a newly formed apartment complex. Hmm. Ok then. This complex was also poorly designed because the parking lot did not leave ANY room for turning around. An attempt was made, but I figured the parked cars would not appreciate me sliding into them. Yes, the roads were already very slick. I would have to drive around the complex to the exit. Upon finding this exit I headed out and back towards the street I was supposed to turn on. But not really. The exit seemed to land me in the opposite direction and I slowly drove into the unknown.

I found a street sign that was pointed opposite from the snow so it wasn’t completely covered yet. It looked familiar so I thought I’d take that route. Although when I say familiar it really means I’ve driven by the sign many times so the name looked familiar but I didn’t exactly know where it led. At this point I thought it best to get help. I pulled over and called my roommate Laura. I figured she lives in the same house as I do, she would know where I live! From the cozy confines of our sometimes warm house, Laura directed me home. Phew.

Looking back I realize I should have used my vznavigator to get home. The nice lady would have given me precise directions and when exactly to turn. Well, maybe. She might not have been able to see through that snow either. At least she wouldn’t laugh at me because I couldn’t find my own house.

No comments: