Friday, October 31, 2008

Stage Door: Take Four

If you remember, the last time I was in NYC I showed up to the stage door three times in the hope of seeing Clay. On the stage as Sir Robin was the only time I saw him. But this time….

STAGE DOOR: TAKE FOUR

My sister, brother, nephew and I headed out from the hotel and over to the Shubert Theater alley where Juniors is located for some delicious cheesecake. My sister, Linda, and I shared a piece of something; raspberry swirl I think? I was getting too excited to remember, although I clearly know that Juniors cheesecake is magnificent. It was quite nerve racking - this was going to be my first time seeing Clay up close and personal, not counting first row of Spamalot. He was Sir Robin then, not Clay. My sister, Linda, does not consider herself a fan although she agreed to stand outside the stage door on three previous occasions. Her previous disappointment made her a little skeptical that Clay would make an appearance this night. She mentioned her skepticism to our waiter who kindly shared, with enthusiasm, about the crowds that the stage door brings each night. At least our waiter had a positive attitude.

As soon as the infamous Shubert Theater mustache guy came out and started to set up the gates, my nephew, Bret, and I rushed out of the restaurant leaving the bill behind for my brother and sister. My bad. For the first time I was front and center. Well, slightly right of center, but in the front none the less. Clay's bodygaurd, Jerome, came out to have a look around. Perfect timing for him to watch E! Entertainment interviewers attempting to get short interviews from people. Most people declined but naturally they finally got to the younger crowd hoping for their 15 minutes of fame, or .15 seconds, whichever. E! got their info, and quickly disappeared out of the alley. I was able to talk to Jerome during this time; that was exciting. No really. It was. I asked him if I could get a picture with him although apparently some unknown to the world Broadway rule restricts him from taking pictures with fans. He said he got in trouble for doing so because he didn’t know this unknown rule. Shady. So no picture with Jerome. He left about the time that E! did and a few very long short minutes he exits again with Clay. EEEEEEE! I’m sure he said good evening how is everyone doing? Or something to that effect. That seems to be a popular greeting in the videos I’ve seen but I have no idea what he said this evening. Clay was about halfway around the barricade with his greetings, signatures, and a few pictures and was about three or so people away from me. I flip my hair, straighten it back out, and have my playbill ready. And then….

Jerome, who had been meandering in the background, rushes up, grabs Clay, practically picks him up and pulls him back towards the stage door and into the hall. WTH. Three people away Jerome! Did I have bad breathe? Did he think I was some psycho stalker with an evil agenda? Did he know I was using a playbill from Clay’s first run; that I actually hadn’t seen Spamalot that night? But don’t people do that all the time? WTH. Oh but wait. There is the three E! interviewers rushing back into the alley with their cameras and microphones held high. Are you KIDDING me?!? How many years had I been waiting for this? I hate you all. Anyone affiliated with E! that is.

So no luck Thursday night. I did get the Lady of the Lake’s autograph. I had her sign the front of my playbill since she wasn’t actually listed inside.

As we were walking away we passed by the E! crew (two guys, one girl) where a quite obvious Claymate was expressing her feelings on the matter. I’m pretty sure she was standing next to me at the stage door so she hadn’t gotten an autograph either. The exchange of words was rather amusing. Naturally I had to stop and shake my head in agreement with her. Once her rant was over she huffed off with her friend and my sister asked for a picture of the E! crew. Amusingly enough the girl refused to be in it. Interesting, eh?

No comments: